Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Just as things were calming down...

Like I said, just as things were calming down... Monday evening happened, one of the scariest days of my life! Shane was standing on the back of a kids ride-on jeep and he fell off the back and hit his head on the pavement. Brad said it sounded like a watermelon hitting concrete. He doesn't really get freaked out but he sure did this time. He knows enough about what can medically go wrong that we could not get to the ER quick enough. Long story short, Shane is doing great for what could have gone really bad. He cracked his skull from his occipital protuberance all of the way down to his foramen magnum, or the opening in your skull where your spinal column comes through. So about four inches of a clean break, luckily nothing worse. Looking at him you would never know that this happened because he could not be more active or happier. Which makes it harder for me to keep him from making his head trauma worse because he plays so rough. My solution is that he now almost is always wearing a helmet and I keep trying to get him to watch a movie but he doesn't have the attention span to watch them. UGH! Usually Harry Potter does the trick, yeah, um not this time. Any other suggestions? I had nine people call me today to see if there was anything that they could do to help and also offer to take Dax. Thank you! It just goes to show that not only does everyone know how rough my boys play together and they wanted to protect Shane's head, but more importantly how much that little Shaners is loved. We really have appreciated the help and Shane has loved the gifts that people have brought over.


11 comments:

Adriana said...

How scary Chanel... Well I hope he gets well soon. I miss you. We'll be up in Utah July 11th... maybe we could get together.

Bilary said...

Youch! Poor little dude! I am so sorry that happened. Nothing worse than your child getting hurt. So, there is no swelling or anything? Are you just keeping him on some Ibuprofen or something? Poor, poor guy! Let me know if I can help! I can't believe they didn't keep him longer. Wow! This is just crazy!

Tai said...

I couldn't believe it when my mom told me about poor little Shane!! That is like a one in a million thing I think to have happen. Isn't that the worst when they get hurt and you would think that they would take it easy but they are almost more hyper!!! Go figure!! Let me know if there is anything we can do from way up here!! Valium is the only thing I can think of to knock a kid out, but sorry, I don't think that is the answer!!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness...how completely scary. It is a good thing that you guys knew to take him in. I am actually surprised that one of my boys haven't cracked their skulls with all of the crazy falls they have had. Hang in there. It is good to know that you have help around. Poor guy :(

lisa said...

oh my gosh. i just keep repeating that. oh my gost.

Amy said...

Hi Chanel! I found your blog through Lisanne's and I'm so glad cause I love your cute family! That is so scary about Shane! I'm glad that he is OK! I love the pictures of your beautiful home! You guys did the coolest things to your kitchen! It truely looks so amazing! Way to go! Check out our blog if you get a minute. Take care! thewallengrens.blogspot.com

Lillie said...

Chanel--- so scary! I hope everything is healed up PERFECTLY, soon. That stuff terrifies me.

Brett and Rachael said...

Hey! I forgot to get your blog from you the other day when you got mine so I googled you guys and found ya. Kind of creepy that you can do that! Anyway, your blog is cute, your boys are adorable. I can't wait till Boston can do stuff like wheelies on bikes! Although I will probably constantly be a nervous wreck! Anyway, I hope you are liking your hair and we'll see you guys soon! :)

Kara said...

I'm totally praying that you have a baby girl next time around. I adore your boys, but you need a girl to soften the load!!!Best of luck with everything.

Adriana said...

I turn in my work cell at the end of each year... I emailed out my new number... Maybe I have your wrong address. Here is my new cell 760 810 1816. We'll be there this Thursday.

amy said...

I saw your blog on Brett and Rachel's and was like I totally know those people. Sure enough it was you. Even better Rylee has been talking about you all afternoon and the conversation you two had at the pioneer program. Good to see that you and and Brad are doing great. Your kids are the cutest! Send me your email and I will invite you to my blog: ryleemadison@hotmail.com.