Monday, November 12, 2007

Tagged...

Ok, so I have been tagged twice in the last couple of weeks and have just now had the time to do it. For those that I tag, it has nothing to do with favoritism, here are the rules:
A. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning. B. Each player lists 6 facts/habits about themselves. C. At the end of the post, the player then tags 6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asks them to read your blog.
Here goes nothing:

1. It really bothers me when people discriminate. Even more so when it has to do with being a Mormon. I have already lost a good friend due to me being a Mormon. We were friends for a year and then one day she said that she had researched my religion most of it anti-Mormon literature, and felt that she was disturbed by what she read. Hmmm... never mind researching real source, or asking a Mormon, or that what she came to understand was not correct! Here was her letter that you might find interesting:

Hi Chanel,

I have been meaning to write for so long now and finally I have sat down and actually remembered to do so. First, I want to apologize for not returning your two phone calls/messages. I wasn't really sure what to say I guess, so I never made the time to figure out what I should say. I am sorry.

The truth is that the whole LDS thing kind of threw me for a loop. I read a bit of The Book of Mormon, did a little research and read a book regarding the LDS religion and its history and it all was so crazy to me. Honestly, most of it didn't add up and a lot of what I came to find out was a bit disturbing. Anyway, I wasn't sure exactly how to approach you about it because you obviously are a completely sweet, loving person and I think of you in the highest regard. However, it became difficult for me to imagine having a friendship with someone who I know believes that because I do not accept anything that their religion believes, I will not end up in heaven.

The difficult part is that you are by far one of the sweetest, kindest people I have ever met. My kids love you and I enjoyed your company very much. I just have had a difficult time attempting to rectify the feelings I have regarding the impact of religion on our friendship.

I hope that this email finds you well and is not too unorganized for you to grasp some understanding of my feelings. It is often hard to articulate exact feelings in such a limited vernacular.

Love,
********


Did she seem to forget what century and country that she lives in? Last time I checked it was 2007. Are we not taught to love our fellow men regardless of race or religion? Just today, my friend Amy was told that she is not allowed to put her four year old in a certain Christian preschool because she is Mormon, and that it is against school policy to allow a Mormon in their school. Anyone want their number? Who would want to send their child to a preschool where they are taught to discriminate against other religions anyway. Whatever! I think that I am now just discriminating against discriminators...

2. I hate moving! I have moved pretty much every year since I was 13. Ugh! I am excited to get this next move over with and finally get settled. The packers are coming in three days, and we are out of here in five. Times are really stressful for me right now, it makes me anxious just typing about it. My mind is jumping from what needs to be organized, to finding a preschool in Utah, to what else can I give to DI, ect. AAAAH! One positive from moving... I have learned that no matter where you live, you can make it a home and learn to love it. Some places just take more time than others.

3. I dream of going to a fancy cooking school and becoming a pastry chef, just for fun.

4. Who do I admire the most? Brad- he is perfect in my eyes. Amy- she has quite the inner strength that I aspire to have. My mom and Grandma Condie- they are one in the same... both selfless and positive, and have a firm foundation.

5. Growing up, I thought that motherhood would be easier than it really is.

6. My husband offered to hire a cleaning lady to come to our house a couple times a month. I declined due to the fact that cleaning is a huge stress relief for me. Weird? I am.

Ok- so I am tagging Kesli, Ashley, Rebecca, Tara, both Lisa's!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Tag, shmag.

Leaves of Grass is a collection of Walt Whitman's poems you nerd. You're so uneducated.

Amy said...

Oh you dork, you made me get all teary eyed.

Jen said...

Chanel...I was shocked and dismayed when I heard that story about the Christian preschool discriminating against cute little Ady because of her religion. I have contemplated about a million different negative comments I could make in regards to it, but you are right about discriminating against discriminators. Higher road...right?